Monday 25 August 2014

Doughnuts

So I am now back from the Greek adventure, and as much as I was hoping to do lots of interesting cooking with Greek food, I only got round to doing one thing. As soon as I got home to my usual kitchen I decided to make some Doughnuts. I would usually go for the regular cupcakes, but I wanted to do something a little more interesting.
So here you have it, really easy doughnut recipe. 

Ingredients
1 tablespoon of yeast
        -I used Easy Bake Yeast.
4 tablespoons of caster sugar
150ml of warmed milk
225g plain flour
1/4 teaspoon of salt
50g melted butter
1 free range egg beaten
500ml vegetable oil - for deep frying
        - I used Flora Pure Sunflower Oil
Jam, Sugar, Nutella



First Step: Mix the tablespoon of yeast with half a teaspoon of the caster sugar and two tablespoons of warm milk. Place in a warm place for 10 minutes or until it has gone frothy.



Second Step: In a separate bowl sift the flour and salt, and stir in one tablespoons of sugar.


Third Step: Make a large well in the flour and once the yeast is fluffy pour it into the well, along with the egg, the milk and the butter. Mix to make a dough, and then knead. At this point I needed to add more flour, as it was too sticky to knead, but add too much and it will be too hard. So add the flour in small amounts. Once kneaded place in a bowl and cover for 45 minutes.


Fourth Step: Split into 12-14 balls and wait for them to double in size, while leaving them in a warm place. 


Fifth Step: Heat up the oil to 190 Degrees Celsius. 

Sixth Step: Carefully place the dough balls into the hot oil. They will cook very quickly, so after about 5 seconds turn it over. Keep doing this until the whole doughnut is golden brown.


Seventh Step: Use a slotted spoon to drain them over sink, pan, or bowl. Leave them in a warm place, until you have cooked them all.

For the filling you can put the donut in a bag of sugar, shake it and it will cover it in sugar.
Alternatively make a slit in the doughnut and put either jam or Nutella in it.

I hope you like them! 








No comments:

Post a Comment